ewaldsinengland

The Ewald Family of Appleton, Wisconsin USA is off to the Isle of Wight in the United Kingdom for a year.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Winneconne, Wisconsin, United States

Science Teacher Wife Mother

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

FYI - Food

I thought that every now and then, I should include a blog on some of the differences or unique features of the UK and specifically, the IOW. One of the things that I find amazing here, are the school lunches. School lunches back home are fairly bad, both in terms of nutrition and in terms of taste. Here, the school lunches are amazingly good in both respects. This week, we have had Thai curry hicken with rice, mixed vegitable stir fry with oriental noodles, and mac and cheese. Tomorrow is Sunday dinner (my personal favorite meal of the week) which is roast, potatoes, veggies, and all the trimmings. Today was actually the first time the food wasn't very good. I had chili, which they serve with rice. It was pretty bad. The lunches here are served on real china plates with metal spoons, forks, and knives. They do not use paper, styrofoam, etc, at all in there food program.

The thing I especially enjoy about lunch, is that for me, its free. In the beginning of the year, we could sign up to do lunch duty. Our normal lunch is 40 minutes, if we do lunch duty, we get 20 minutes. In return, we get paid £8 per day and get a free lunch. Anyway, I ment to sign up, but got busy and never got around to it. Anyway, I usually ate my lunch in the science block computer area. A lot of kids use the computers in that area over the lunch break. Anyway, one day Jackie (another science teacher) and I noticed that we were supervising the computer area, but neither of us were on lunch duty. So, she went to the admin. and told them, so now, we share the lunch duty in that area. Which basically means that I still do the same thing at lunch, but now I get free food and £8.

Other food differences:

Ketsup is called tomato sause, barbeque sause is brown sause, vinigar is always served with fries, which are chips. Chips here are called crisps. Biscuits are cookies, unless they have chocolate chips, in which case they are cookies. More people here eat lamb burgers rather than hamburgers made with beef. Here, you will find one small jar of salsa in the store, but many different types of curry/masala sause. Coffee only comes in small bags measured in Kg and chips (crisps) come in large bags with many small individual portioned bags inside. There is nothing for kids to drink other than milk, juice in cartons, water, or soda. No kool-aid, frozen juice, juice boxes, etc. The kids here are fascinated by the concept of meatloaf (they have never had it, but have heard about it on TV) and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Oh yeah, jelly is jello and jam is jelly. Budweiser is an import - and people drink it. They can not envision what we would call a biscuit, even though I have explained it to them. All there deserts (which they call pudding) has some type of sause (cream, custard, etc.). The pudding is pretty good, but I don't care for the sauses.




The little pink shop is the confectionary shop up the road from our house. I took this picture from the upper deck of a double decker bus. I thought it fit into our discussion on food.







Hope you have enjoyed this installment of How is it Different.